It’s a battle, and the stage is set in 1 Kings. Sides were taken then, and the same sides are taken today.
To Think About:
- In 1 Kings 18:16-24, the prophet Elijah confronts King Ahab and other followers of Baal. It is more than a battle between a prophet of God and followers of another god. What else is at stake? What other battles were present that day?
- Verses 25-29 detail how those on Baal’s side fared. What does the silence indicate about the nature of false gods and their worship? Why would Elijah taunt these worshippers like he does?
- Verses 30-39 show how Elijah’s God responded. How does the water add to the faithfulness shown by Elijah? How does it add to the power shown by God?
To Live Out:
Your trust in God at this moment may reflect the disappointment of Baal’s team, or it might be more like Elijah’s trust. It could be you are living somewhere in between. To help you move closer to Elijah’s ways, consider what your altars are built for. What is it you spend time, money, and effort to make sure is still there tomorrow? What reality is it based on? When you cry out, does it respond? Choose the One whose actions empower prophets, silence enemies, and dry up water.
To Pray About:
- Share with the Lord the decisive actions you’ve seen him take in your life and those around you. Ask him to help you recognize his authority in your life.
- Acknowledge that you have idols in your life and share specific examples.
- Ask for boldness to stand up for what you believe, even in the face of differing opinions.
- Bring to God those facing significant temptation to turn to something other than him.