What if you found out all your money was gone?! That money might have been in a bank or hidden around your house. Your emotions may swing from anger to fear. Much of that could depend on why the money was missing. No matter what made it disappear, you would have to figure out what to do next.
To Think About:
- Read 1 Timothy 6:17-19. In ten words or less, how would you summarize what Timothy was supposed to teach Christians in the city of Ephesus?
- What are some of the diverse ways that wealth is so uncertain? How have you experienced one or more of these ways?
- If those who know you were asked how you show generosity, what would they say? Do you agree? Why are you generous in that way?
- Building a foundation now for what will come later is not always an easy concept to grasp. How would you explain the immediate and future aspects of sharing what you have with others?
- In what ways do you see Jesus as a model of what Timothy will be teaching?
To Live Out:
Wealth can be powerful in both good and bad ways. In the hands of one person, even a few dollars can change another person’s life. It can also destroy a life when it is given or withheld. Take inventory of what you own. Envision ways to use any of it to help build a foundation for the coming age.
To Pray About:
- With your inventory list in hand, tell God how blessed and thankful you are.
- Let God know you need wisdom to understand how to utilize what he’s given you. If you’re tempted to think any of it came from your own work, acknowledge that he is the giver of all good things.